Pathways to Financial Power
Pathways to Financial Power provides more than 40 youth with a combination of financial and professional resources to build their network and be able to responsibly manage their finances.
Youth who have experienced foster care often reach the age of 18 without the knowledge and resources non-foster youth possess. Among these are self confidence, financial literacy, supportive relationships and employment skills.
Pathways to Financial Power helps transition age foster youth bring their employment options into focus, increase self-sufficiency and learn the skills needed to become financially secure. Through resume and cover letter building, networking, financial literacy, computer and technology skills, and one-on-one connections with San Diego professionals, youth enhance their personal, professional and financial skills. Participants also have opportunities to increase confidence and self-sufficiency through partnerships within the San Diego community.
Outcomes & Impact
After engaging in Pathways to Financial Power participants will have:
(hover over section for more information)
- How to Maximize Your Job Hunt – Professional development session for youth to work on resumes, cover letters, receive interview and salary negotiation tips and learn how to strategically look for a job online.
- Build Your Presence Online – an interactive workshop that discusses the importance of having a LinkedIn and a visual portfolio or website. Youth learn the how to create a portfolio or design a website so they can be prepared for the future of technology.
- Mocktail Networking – an interactive mocktail mixer where youth can learn and practice networking with the JIT community and San Diego professionals.
- Brainstorm Your Idea – Empowers youth to gain confidence and think about possible entrepreneurial ideas and how they may begin planning for them.
- Build Your Business Plan – Youth learn how to take entrepreneurial ideas to the next step! They learn key definitions in a typical business plan and gain clarity on their ideas.
- Pitch Perfection – Whether it’s an elevator pitch or a business pitch, youth learn how to powerfully share their ideas or information.
- PowerPoint – a workshop that begins with PowerPoint basics and evolves into an intermediate level where youth can learn more advanced tricks and how to create a clear and consistent presentation.
- Outlook & Word – a workshop explaining the basics of Outlook and Word so youth can learn how to send calendar invites, adjust formulas in Word, manage their calendar and inbox, and more.
- Excel – a workshop that starts with Excel basics and allows youth to practice creating spreadsheets and simple formulas.
Entering the business world as a Business major created a lot of fear and uncertainty. By attending the Pathways conference I was able to gain more confidence and be prepared and clear up some of my fears upon entering the career world.
This was such a powerful conference for me and I’m grateful for what the JIT team has done.
Pathways has connected me to many resources and I have recently been hired at the YMCA because of the connection I made at the Pathways conference. Since joining JIT my life has changed dynamically!
Our 2019 Pathways to Financial Power Major Investors
Power Sponsor $50,000+
Kimberly & Jim Caccavo
Gold Sponsors $10,000+
Alliance Healthcare Foundation
Bank of America
Anonymous Bessemer National Gift Fund
The Hill Charitable Foundation
Inez Branca Family Foundation
The Kroha Casner Family Foundation
Louarn & Alan Sorkin
The Tuffli Family Foundation
Vicki & Jeff Winkelman
Walter J. & Betty C. Zable Foundation
Presenting Sponsors $30,000+
Del Mar Highlands Town Center
Suzanne & Jay Lichter
Silver Sponsors $5,000+
Batta Fulkerson Law Group
Day for Change
Mutual of Omaha Bank
Robin & Larry Rusinko
Snodgrass Charitable Fund
Subaru of America Foundation
Sunstone Hotel Investors
The Zarcades Family Fund
Your name here
Bank of America Foundation
BDO USA, LLP
Sharon Goldman & Ellen Ichinaga
April & Ben Lundeen
Jain Malkin & Gary Watson
MUFG Union Bank Foundation
The Yang Family Charitable Fund
Joellyn & Ron Zollman
Your name here